Saturday, June 9, 2012

WHAT ON EARTH AM I HERE FOR? May 20

Today we are running to 3rd base in our 4 part exploration on, “What on earth am I here for?" • First base, Week One—We heard that we are not accidents; God intentionally made us so that we could be objects of his love. • Second base, last Sunday: We explored how we seek things, outside of us, in order to find fulfillment, such as money, somebody to love, recognition, and other outward circumstances to make us happy. However, such things do not bring lasting fulfillment, because they are illusive, or disappointing, or on temporarily fulfilling. That indeed, in every person there is a God shaped hole, which only God can fill. • Today, 3rd base, I want to discuss how to fill this hole—(h-o-l-e) that we can become whole (w-h-o-l-e). As a young man, I was painfully aware of the big black hole in my life, which I experienced as loneliness. Some of you have been surprised to hear that I am a natural introvert. For most of my earlier life, I was just painfully shy. I experienced a fair amount of social anxiety, and was always tongue tied when meeting new people. • Growing up in a dysfunctional family with an alcoholic father taught me to keep quiet in order to protect myself Like everyone else, I wanted things which I imagined would fill the void: • First, I wanted friendships. While I had a couple of close friendships, they did not fill the void. • My dating relationship started with promise, but mostly went up in smoke, thereby making my void even deeper. • Then in high school and college, I thought that I could fill the void by winning the approval & recognition of others, by making straight “As’ and getting elected Student Body President. But none of that filled the void. However, in my 2nd & third year in college, I found a group of friends who seemed to fill the void. They laughed with me; I felt confident around them; we always hung out together; and it really seemed like I had found my nitch. But unfortunately, this was not a good group of friends. In order to win their approval and acceptable, I joined them in getting drunk and stoned. Getting high with them initially appeared to fill the void. However, these so-called friendships were all chemically induced—so these relationships were superficial at best, and dangerous, at the worst. My life almost ended one night when my friend, Bruce, and I were both stoned. • My judgment was impaired, so I agreed to let Bruce take me home in his little sports car. Bruce put his foot on the accelerator, and before I knew what had happened, the car sped off the road and over a cliff. The car rolled down the hill, over and over, until it was stopped by three trees, which kept the car from falling further into the creek below. The car was totaled. Miraculously, both of us walked away with a scratch. The police were amazed that we were still alive. After that close call, I was very ashamed, and filled with the conviction that somehow, God had saved us. A silly thought popped inky mind, one which I originally dismissed as mere superstition or wishful thinking. Those three trees that saved the car from rolling into the creek, I wondered if three represented the 3 persons of God: Father, Son & Holy Spirit. But that thought sounded too superstitious for me to tell anyone. However, about 10 years later, after Bruce had stopped abusing drugs, he told me that he had had the same thought. So, that night I swore off drugs, believing that God had a better purpose for my life. I grew to believe that God had better plans for me then lying dead in a creek. Shortly afterwards, I joined a bible study group, where I learned some basic principles, which helped me to see the broader picture of my life and God’s purpose. To help explain this, we are now going to see a 31/2 minute video, called “God’s Graffiti.” This remarkable film summarizes the teaching of a person who, for the last 55 years, has been in the top ten list of most admired men in the United States—the Rev. Billy Graham. ---------------------------------------------- Although the format is decidedly modern, the content of this film is the Good News proclaimed by the Hebrew prophets, by Jesus Himself, by the apostles, and by countless millions of other Christians during the past 2000 years, Like some of you, I had heard this teaching previously with my head, but after the car accident, I embraced it with my heart. That’s when I decided to invite God into my life by praying the prayer of believing and receiving. Would you please take out the yellow prayer card from your bulletin, and if you would please pass those pens down the table. Let’s look at the prayer----- Some of you personally may have previously prayed this prayer, or one like it; and others of you may have not. I really see this prayer as an expression of our love and faith in God. Since God made you to be the recipient of his boundless love, He now invites you to tell him that we love him too. By praying this prayer, you do not proclaim that you have all the answers. Rather, you ask Jesus to , quote, “COME INTO MY LIFE AND HELP ME TO LEARN TO KNOW YOU, TO TRUST YOU, AND TO LOVE YOU.” unquote. So, when I initially prayed this prayer at my bible study, I did not initially feel anything at first. But later on, as I looked back, I could see that this invitation was the beginning of my finding fulfillment. I returned to church, where I began to form new friendships with people who like me, wanted to grow to better trust, love, and follow Christ. • I still have problems, like everybody else. • I have grown in my relational skills, and learned how to better give and receive love from my friends, my wife, and my children. • I have grown to care more about the approval and recognition of Christ, and less about that from people. • My wife and I have never had a surplus of money, but I have seen how the Lord has consistently provided for the financial needs of my family and churches, I have served. And it all begins by praying the prayer of believing and receiving, so that Jesus might begin to fill your HOLE “H-o-l-e” so that you can become “W_H_O_L_E” WHOLE. Now, I have prayed this prayer, in one form or another, hundreds of times, because love always needs to be renewed. • IF I had told my wife that I loved her 25 years ago, and never did it again, she world rightfully question my initial sincerity;....and frankly both of our hearts would have grown cold, if I never reaffirmed my love to her. • Likewise, this prayer is not a onetime obligation. Rather, it is a milestone in a spiritual journey that serves as the foundation of our personal faith. So, I recommend that those of us who have previously made such a prayer commitment, also join me in praying it again, as one expression of love to the one who created us to love us. So, in A MINUTE, AFTER THE PRAYERS of THE PEOPLE, I am going to pray this prayer, and if you feel that you wish to express your love to the Lord in a similar fashion, feel free to do so, as well. But whether you pray it or not, keep an open mind and an open heart in the one who demonstrated his love for you through his death and resurrection.

No comments:

Post a Comment