Saturday, August 26, 2017

CHARLIE


Hello.  My name is Charlie.  I have lived in the Naugatuck Valley all my life. Growing up, we lived in Seymour. I went to Western Connecticut State University, where I met my future wife, Mary. After my son was born in 2010, we bought a fixer upper and moved to Oxford. For the past 15 years, I have been selling pharmaceuticals. I have made a good living and provided for my family.  In 2013, I was named my company’s national salesman of the year.  I work hard, and I am proud of what I can give to my family.

Now I am not what you would call a religious guy.  I didn’t like church growing up, and I don’t care much for it now.  OH, my wife, she goes to mass every week, and makes sure the kids go to their CCD classes. I go with her every now and then.  To be honest, I find it kind of dull. It is just the same old, same old over and over and over again—blah, blah, blah, week in and week out. I’m not really friends with anybody their…except some hypocrites, who are trying to look better than they really are.  The priest may not know these folk, but I went to school with them and I will tell you what…they are no angels.  I hate when I meet these folks at church because I must put on a fake smile and act like I like them. Then, like a herd of cattle we go up to receive communion. I suppose it’s a good thing, but it doesn’t do anything for me.

Besides, I am not a church person.  I don’t claim to be a church person.  I cuss. I lie. I cheat on my income tax. I cheat at poker. There are all sorts of associates at work, who have stabbed me in the back, and I don’t forgive them.  I don’t claim to be a saint. I have been faithful to Mary, but I flirt too much with the girls in the office. And to be honest, I envy some of the fat cats at the office, who work too little and earn too much. Now, I work hard, and I am proud of what I can give to my family.  I wish I had more.  I wish we could have a bigger house, like one of those McMansions.

No, I don’t fit in with religious people. Ah, I believe in God.  But I like to have fun. I don’t want to walk around with a prune face. Always going to confession to ask for forgiveness. That’s not for me.

Well, about a year ago, Fed invited me to attend a discussion at his house one, and then to go out for a beer.  I thought it was a good excuse to get out of the house. When I told Mary where I was going, she laughed, saying that I had better put in my sunglasses so that no one would know me.  I arrived at Fred’s house, and I felt a little embarrassed as I walked in the door. But then I recognized one of the guys. The rest looked like regular folks.

After introducing everyone, Freed played a DVD of this crazy pastor, who wears a Hawaiian shirt. He didn’t preach like others pastors; he just spoke to us, like we were his equals. He said that most people really don’t know their purpose in life.  After the DVD, we spoke about his ideas for a while. No one was pressured to talk, and so I just listened.

During the next week, I got to thinking about it. I work hard and I am proud of what I can give to my family.  But to be honest, I feel like I am in a rut. I work hard. I avoid the people I don’t like, and gossip with the people I do like. I come home, talk to my family, go to bed, and then I start all over again the next day.

 

Well, I went back to the group the next week, and saw another tape. Then, I began to realize that there’s more to God than just church. Some of the folks in the room spoke about God as if was their friend. Then I got to thinking—working hard is good. Giving to my family is good. But I wondered if I might be missing out on something?

 

The following week, one of the women in the group told us how her career had been flushed down the toilet, and how devastated she was when that happened.  She spoke about learning to pray, not like a priest, but all by herself, as if God was in the room with her.

 

Perhaps the thing that stands out in my mind the most is the fella who told us about a severe illness in his family. Now we keep everything confidential in in our group, so I am not going to tell you about this fella.  But I will tell you about the group.

·       Everyone is the group listened to him. Everyone was concerned. Someone even shed a tear.

·       Several questions were asked, so that fella spoke some more. One guy had had a similar experience, so he shared that. He talked about how hard it was, but how he got through it with help from his church friends,

·       One guy then said that he wanted us to pledge to do everything possible to help this fella over the next several months.  Everyone agreed.

·       The one older woman had us pray for the fella and his family.  She said all the words, and I just listened; but others joined in, adding to her prayer.

·       By the time, we were done praying, the fella was smiling. He said he felt better. He said that he had never had friends like us before.

Well several weeks have passed, and I have attended the group each week. I’ve even gone with Fred to his church a couple times. Boy, this church is not boring like mine. This church has great music and friendly people, who smile and laugh. But their priest—this Father John—he gives such great sermons. 

 

I have never seen a church like this. My kids are going to come with me next week.

 

Now, I am still not what I would consider a religious guy, or anything. But I am so grateful that Fred invited me to come to his group. I am learning that God is much bigger and more loving than I ever imagined.  I am learning that I am important to God. This is like the beginning of a whole new chapter in my life.

 

So, the reason I am telling you this is because you probably know a Charlie like guy: someone who might come to your small group, if only you invited him or her. All Fred did was to ask me to come one time.  And guess what? If I had said “No,” then it would have been NO BIG DEAL. But now I understand that Fred is not just my poker buddy, but her is a true friend.  I bet you know someone who could use a good friend or two.

 

If you have not signed up for a small group, give it a try…you might like it.

 

And if you have signed up—what is to stop you from inviting a Charlene or Charlie to go with you?

(NO AMEN)

No comments:

Post a Comment