Friday, April 21, 2017

Part 2 of Easter Sunday Sermon by Cathy Lee


Part 2 of Easter Sunday Sermon by Cathy Lee

Finding Grace within Our Difficulties


          I know everyone walks through these doors under different circumstances, whether under the happiest of circumstances and just wanting to be closer to the Lord or under difficult circumstances and looking for the Lord to guide them. As for my family, our journey may not have been under the happiest of circumstances, while my husband was battling terminal cancer, but I had a strong calling from the Lord to come back. I did not feel the Holy Spirit move in my life right away, but received the warmth and guidance of Father John and Renee immediately that was needed and welcomed to sustain us through his passing. Upon heading home to tell my boys that their father passed, 2 years ago today. I prayed fervently that the Lord would give me the grace to say the right words and he went above and beyond. I felt surrounded by God’s love and when I began to tell my boys, a dove appeared on our railing that became a very impressionable Jesus moment, showing me that he heard my prayer and sent the sign of Peace.

            I began a deeper quest after that by pressing in and prayed for him to fill me with the Holy Spirit and guide me with wisdom and grace to get my children through this life. Nothing happened right away, but through my perseverance to make him Lord and Savior of my life, he has filled me with such joy in the midst of our circumstances that surpasses all understanding. I know now that it was necessary because only a few months later would be the unexpected passing of my mother.

            A simple procedure turned to sepsis and she went to be with the Lord within 10 hours. I began reading scripture even more and I would not have been able to cope with back to back losses without Jesus in our life.

            This little voice reminded me that there was still too much to do because my father suffered for a long time with Parkinson’s and he still needed me. It occurred to me that the promptings and internal feeling I was having was indeed the Holy Spirit. We spent many days with my father to feed him while he transitioned to pureed foods, and there was always an overwhelming feeling of love and joy to just be in my father’s presence. He began to decline rapidly after a few months and I felt the Lord preparing me to stand firm and face these challenges, knowing I had such a fear of being left all alone.

            The day came 6 months after my mother’s passing that my dad would join her as well. I didn’t face my father’s death afraid however, it was a need to be with him and help him with his transition to heaven and that his job here was done. I prayed over him that the Lord would keep him free of pain and suffering and he didn’t let me down once again and my father went so peacefully.

            I began a quest to read scripture daily and I could see certain verses more prominent on the pages that the Holy Spirit began to show me were relevant to me.

            In Phil. Ch. 4 it says, “Stand firm in the Lord”, which is necessary to face the challenges in everyday life. Standing means we are stronger than we think we are and putting this into practice means the God of peace will be with you and to me it’s not just peace, but a piece of God within me.

            I am reminded daily of all of God’s blessings in my life from the beautiful parents he chose for me that adopted me and the wonderful upbringing with their guidance to the love I got to experience in this life, and the beautiful healthy boys I have that need that same love and nurturing. I have also formed some new deep friendships with the people he has placed in my path that I am so thankful for.

            I know we can all feel at times that we might be in the middle of nowhere, but the Lord has turned that word around for me to show me “He is Now Here”. He was here with my husband’s cancer, he was here holding my hand in the midst of my mother’s passing, he was here guiding me to help my father with his last breath, and he is now here helping me this day and with all my future days.

            Broken moments or crises in our lives are where God does his best work in us, and these moments don’t need to hold us back from walking into the Joy Christ has for us.

            I am thankful that even though my circumstances aren’t perfect at the moment, the Lord is working through me to show my children the Joy in me that I hope in turn makes them want to love God even more, and make a difference in the world. I am choosing to focus on Jesus and do things that empower my spirit by holding onto joyous thoughts and praising him for all the blessings and good things he is doing in our lives like youth group, small groups, our church family, meaningful friendships, and reaching out to serve others. With things like this we can all burst forward with resurrection power by focusing on the cross.

           

            There will always be things that try to creep in to take a hold of us and steal our joy. In these moments we should all remember that Jesus was thought to be the biggest failure and was ridiculed while turning out to be the Greatest Victory the world has ever known.

            I encourage everyone to see through and beyond whatever you see as a battle or hurt in your life and let the Lord help you overpower the things of this world. Through his word, God can do the impossible by helping us find our strength during a loss, help one overcome feelings of anxiety, cure that bad diagnosis, help us see we have much when we have little, change that problem, and even take our fear by filling our soul and mind with the joy of faith in the middle of nowhere by showing us he is Now Here.

            I am finding joy everyday while God is taking me from Glory to Glory and I am on the continuous lookout for the Dove of peace on my railing and refuse to let fear, what people think, or any circumstances try to have a hold on us. I know that by being faithful, God can change any resentment, loss, or any challenge into our greatest joy by catapulting us to our greatest success and with one touch of his grace, he can turn it all into a beautiful testimony making it God’s happiest and praiseworthy moment.

            I wish all of you and your families a Happy Easter and Thank You for listening.

 

By: Cathy Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment