Sunday, December 30, 2012

Two Babies in a Manger Christmas Eve, Dec. 24, 2012


In 1994, two Americans answered an invitation from the Russian Department of Education to teach morals and ethics (based on biblical principles) in the public schools. They were invited to teach at prisons, businesses, the fire and police departments and a large orphanage. About 100 boys and girls who had been abandoned, abused, and left in the care of a government-run program were in the orphanage. They relate the following story in their own words:

It was nearing the holiday season, 1994, time for our orphans to hear, for the first time, the traditional story of Christmas. We told them about Mary and Joseph arriving in Bethlehem. Finding no room in the inn, the couple went to a stable, where the baby Jesus was born and placed in a manger.

Throughout the story, the children and orphanage staff sat in amazement as they listened. Some sat on the edges of their stools, trying to grasp every word. Completing the story, we gave the children three small pieces of cardboard to make a crude manger. Each child was given a small paper square, cut from yellow napkins I had brought with me. No colored paper was available in the city.

Following instructions, the children tore the paper and carefully laid strips in the manger for straw. Small squares of flannel, cut from a worn-out nightgown an American lady was throwing away as she left Russia, were used for the baby’s blanket. A doll-like baby was cut from tan felt we had brought from the United States. The orphans were busy assembling their manger as I walked among them to see if they needed any help.


All went well until I got to one table where little Misha sat. He looked to be about 6 years old and had finished his project. As I looked at the little boy’s manger, I was startled to see not one, but two babies in the manger. Quickly, I called for the translator to ask the lad why there were two babies in the manger. Crossing his arms in front of him and looking at this completed manger scene, the child began to repeat the story very seriously. For such a young boy, who had only heard the Christmas story once, he related the happenings accurately – until he came to the part where Mary put baby Jesus in the manger.

Then Misha started to ad-lib. He made up his own ending to the story as he said, “And when Maria laid the baby in the manger, Jesus looked at me and asked me if I had a place to stay. I told him I have no mama and I have no papa, so I don’t have any place to stay. Then Jesus told me I could stay with him. But I told him I couldn’t, because I didn’t have a gift to give him like everybody else did.”

But I wanted to stay with Jesus so much, so I thought about what I had that maybe I could use for a gift. I thought maybe if I kept him warm, that would be a good gift. So I asked Jesus, “If I keep you warm, will that be a good enough gift?” And Jesus told me, “If you keep me warm, that will be the best gift anybody ever gave me.” So I got into the manger, and then Jesus looked at me and he told me I could stay with him – for always.

As little Misha finished his story, his eyes brimmed full of tears that splashed down his little cheeks. Putting his hand over his face, his head dropped to the table and his shoulders shook as he sobbed and sobbed. The little orphan had found someone who would never abandon nor abuse him, someone who would stay with him – FOR ALWAYS.

 

I recently just received this story, and as I read it for the first time, I shed a tear or two.

…Of course, the story about the Russian orphan is very compeling. 

…But the reason it touched me so deeply, is that this story has personal applicatiuon for me, for you, and for the whole world.

I don’t have to tell  you, that it’s a very cold world out there.The word ‘cold ‘is frequently used to describe hardship, or fear, or financial troubles, or confusion,  isolation, or grief, and the like.  Now one thing that adds to the frigidity to  our cold world—is being abandoned, or orphaned. When you are facing such hard times, all alone, &  you don’t have anyone with who9m to snuggle up, either physically, emotionally, or spiritusally---- That’s the sort of cold that blows though you like an arctic wind, and chills you to the bone.

 

But you know, each and every one of us either has, or is, or will become orphaned at one time or another.

·       The families of the victims of Sandy Hook were savagely orphsaned....some who lost parents and others who lost children.  These are the orphans for whom we grieve on this might, which must be the most painful Christmas that they could ever imagine.

 

Further, we all realize that if it has not already happened, you will become profaned .

·       Health problems may isolate us from others, or even make us withdraw from  those we love.

·       How many people this Christmas are feeling orphaned by the American economy, as the recession goes on and on?

·       At some point you will lose people you love—because they die or leave you---your parents , spouses, children, grandchildren, friends, colleagues, church friends…at some point, you and I will lose those who have been most precious to us.

 

·       And of course, if you have never been orphaned before, there will come a point where you and I will die—we will become stone cold dead, and that will be a journey that no one can take with us. At that time life will abandon you when you take your last breath,  YOU WILL ENDURE  the  coldness of death by yourself alone.

 

However, little, Misha, like you, can take a path to come of out the cold.  You and I can come and accept the warmth, the hope, and salvation, of the one whose birth we celebrate tonight.  You and I can embrace Jesus, who has promised that if we come to love Him and claim Him as our spiritual master and savior. Jesus promised us”I WILL NOT LEAVE YOU AS ORPHANS…  I will take you to myself, and you will have a home in my father’s house, with a place prepared just for you.

 

You see, 2,000 years ago, God almighty looked down at the earth and he saw billions and billions of orphans—orphans who lived in the past, orphans who lived in Jesus’ time, and orphans who would live in the future.  This sight broke God’s heart, so he sent  His son to tell us of God’s love, and   how he has a wonderful purpose for our lives, now and in the age to come.  He invites us to share in the love of his eternal family.  How does one accept this invitation to God’s family?  You speak to God & the same thing all Christians acknowledge ---- that you are sorry for your sins and that  tell you have  turned away from him by your apathy. He will then forgive you, because Jesus died on the cross and rose from the dead that He might be your savior,  master, protector, friend, and family.

 

 

 Now, the love of God’s family is great. You will receive unexpected blessings in your daily life. You will learn that prayer is just talking to God.  You can learn to listen to God‘s caring answers to your prayers by joining a church family, kike this church or another.  You will join at the family dinner table, week after week, and be fed by Health problems may isolate us from others, or even make us withdraw from those we love.

 

Some of us may have been dragged to church at one time or another, and may have never really asked God to join his family.  Others of us may have previously asked, but drifted away. Still others of us find once such a commitment has been initially made, that we want to renew our bonds of faith and family for them to grow even stronger.

 

One of the times I made such a recommitment occurred on a cold starry night, when I was staying at lodge in the woods, with some of my friends.  That night, I was lonely.  However, the loneliness was not due to a lack of friends; rather, the loneliness was an inner feeling that I had drifted away from God’s family.  I walked out into the cold of that awesome starry night, looked up into sky, and asked God for welcome me back to into the warmth of his embrace. And then, I felt warmth in my heart which made me realize that I , indeed, was God’s son…that He would love me forever.

 

Maybe you would like to join me .  In a moment, I am going to make such a prayer of recommitment to share in the family of God. You are welcome to repeat it after me, and thereby prayer to God our father.  Or, maybe you wish quietly prayer on your own, using your own words. But for goodness sakes, come out of the cold into the warmth and the blessed life which is the promise of Christmas.

 

Let us pray.

 

Dear Jesus, we thank you for being born

So that we might live forever with you.

We thank you for dying

And rising from the dead

To offer forgiveness of sin.

Forgive us all our sins, known and unknown.

Come  now into my heart as my Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father,  Protector & Savior, and Prince of Peace.

Make my commitment sincere, now and forever.

 

Here the words of God for all who truly turn to him, words spoken to the shepherds 2000 years ago, and words spoken by God to you tonight,

 

“Glory to God and His  peace, which passes all human understanding ,  is now  with you, with whom He is well pleased.”

 

May His joy be in you this Christmas, and may that joy be complete.  AMEN.

 

 

The Rev. John Donnelly

No comments:

Post a Comment