Thursday, November 7, 2013

THE JUDGE JESUS SHOW--A One Act Liturgical Drama Nov. 3, 2014


THE JUDGE JESUS SHOW
--A One Act play by the Rev. John Donnelly-
Presented AT Christ Church Quaker Farms, November 3, 2014

Scene begins with the judge sitting in the Bishop’s chair, before the altar.  Plea-bargain Patti is in the lectern.  Mrs.  Good  is in prison clothes, sitting on a chair just in front of the altar rail, stage left.  Judge Jesus is seated in chair at the altar crossing, behind the altar rail.  Fr. John is standing on standing in the witness box.. J  Narrator begins reading from the pulpit.   


Narrator:  We welcome you today to another exciting episode of "The Judge Jesus Show", the reality show that makes you pay for your sins,  right in the courtroom of heaven.  Today, we are hearing a criminal case against one Mrs. Good. Mrs. Good suddenly died   just a short time ago.  When she  was met by St. Peter at the Pearly Gates, she  was arrested for gross violations of the HRS Code (the Heavenly Revenue Service Code),  for not being a cheerful and generous giver.  

Choir & People: BOO

Narrator: This trial is to determine if the defendant is guilty.  For the defense, Mrs. Good’s lawyer is Plea-bargain Patti, an angelic, sweet, and prodigious defense attorney. She just recently earned her wings. (

Choir & People: YEA!!!!!!

Narrator:   She’s brilliant, but has not had much experience.  The prosecutor  today is Sam Saytan, perhaps the best legal mind in the universe.  His spell binding rhetoric, his contempt for his opponents, and his down  right dirty tricks, have made him the most forceful of accusers.  Let’s hear it for Attorney Sam Saytan.

Choir& People:  Boo. 

Narrator: As our scene opens up today, Attorney Plea-bargain Patti  is cross-examining a character witness.

Plea-bargain Patti: So, Fr. John, is it your testimony that Mrs. Good  is a woman of good character? 

Fr. John: She has been a pillar of the church for years.  She also always volunteered to help out whenever needed.  In her  time, before she became old and cranky, she was one of the major leaders of Christ Church Quaker Farms.

Plea-bargain Patti: Would you say that she is an honest woman?

Fr. John: Most certainly.  She is honored and respected by our entire parish.

Plea-bargain Patti: Thank you, your honor.  No more questions.

Judge: Mr. Saytan, do you have questions?

Satan:  Yes, your honor.  Fr. John,  are you saying that Ms. Goodwoman  is honest, or does she just appear to be honest?

Fr. John:  I believe her to be one of the most honest people I have ever met.


Saytan:    Did she ever cheat the church in her finances? Was she negligent in paying her debts?

Fr. John:  Well, to the best of my knowledge, no.

Saytan:  Fr. John, if hard evidence could be produced to demonstrate that she cheated the church and knowingly did not pay her debts, would you still call her honest?

Fr. John: Well, yes,  if such evidence could be could be produced to demonstrate that she cheated the church and did not pay debts, then, No, I could not say that she was honest.

Saytan:    (Evil laugh) . Good is going to hang herself with her own words. No further questions, your honor.

Judge: The witness may step down. (Fr. John goes and sits in the front pew)

Plea-bargain:  Your honor, as our last witness, my client would like to make a statement to the court.

Judge: Mrs. Good, you may take the stand. (Mrs. Good stands up and walks over to the  lectern, where she stays until the end of the skit).

Plea-bargain: Well, Mrs. Good, what do you have to say for yourself?

Good: I want to thank the court for this opportunity to set things straight.  You see, my parents never gave me a sufficient allowance.  I always worked for jobs where I was under paid and over worked.   I slowly worked my way up the ladder in my profession.  Then, I finally made something of myself.  In thanksgiving, each Sunday k I would put all my  loose change  in the offering plate.  In addition, once or twice a year,  I even  donated  a dollar or two..  We all should do our part. (PAUSE, WITH FLIRTY SMILE,  BATTING EYES)

At church, I also took on the jobs nobody else wanted, like telling Fr. John that his sermons were too long, when no one else would.   I don’t understand how a nice girl  like me could end up in court.   (Big frown, rub eyes with hands.  Quiet sobs)


(LOUDLY) Plea-bargain  Patti:.  I am sure that everyone can see that you are a model Christian.  That will be all, your honor.

Judge: Okay, Mr. Saytan. Your witness.

Saytan:  Mrs. Good, I have hear a list of prayer requests that you submitted to heaven over the course of your lifetime.  These are things that you prayed to God for, and that he gave you.  Is it true that you applied for a new job in 2010, that you received one?  And that that resulted in a 50% salary increase, plus appropriate benefits?

Good: Why, yes, and I told God that I was grateful.

Saytan:   After God gave you your new job, with the salary increase. Did you increase your annual financial giving to God through the church? go up?

Good:  Well of course, I was grateful to God.

Saytan:    Your honor, I would like to submit to exhibit A.  In the year that Mrs. Good received a $40,000 raise, she contributed an additional $15 to the church.   (PAUSE)  Mrs. Good, (sarcasm)  your lavish display of gratitude is a model to us all.   Now tell the truth, Mrs. Good.  God’s word commands His people to give cheerfully and generously to the Lord. YOU, Mrs. Good take everything God gives you, and you give practically nothing back to Him. 

Good:   Well, I, ugh, tried…….  (Saytan interrupts).


Saytan:   Is it true that over your life time, you prayed for and received these gifts from God: a  home;  children; good health; financial security; comfort when you were in trouble; joy in your heart; protection from evil; lots and lots of daily bread; forgiveness of sin; protection for your loved ones;  a good church; a new boat; fantastic vacations; a fat IRA and pension; Isn’t it true that God gave you all these things?  Was God generous in his attitude to you?

Good: Well. Yes.  God has been very generous .   But, actually, I  owe God a debt of gratitude.

Saytan:  Okay, Ms. Goodwoman.  Tell the  truth. ( Anger tone)  You can’t hide from God.  Do you honestly believe that you showed your debt of gratitude to God by the measly pocket change that you  put in the offering plate?  Did you really put your heart into what you gave?

Good: (Pause) No. I guess I was too selfish.

Saytan:   Now that you are dead,  Ms. Goodwoman,  answer this question: As you look back, would you have been any less happy if you had been more generous to God?

Good:  No.  if I had been more generous to God, I would not have been so afraid of not having enough.  The Bible says, “Where your money is, your heart will be also.”  ” If I had shown God more love by giving more, I would have been happier.

Saytan:   If you had shown God that you are grateful, by being generous in your financial giving, as God had been generous to you, would that have changed the quality of your life style?

Good: (Silent pause, looking down.  Then look up to speak).  It would have.  My life would have been happier. My life would have been happier if I had given more…because it really is more blessed to give, than to receive. God.  If I had it to do all over again, I wish I had been more generous to God.

 Satan:   Let me be clear, Mrs. Good. Are you now ready to confess that in regard to the Heavenly Revenue Service Code (LOUDLY)  that you (SHORT PAUSE)  cheated ( SHORT PAUSE) God?

Goodwoman: I guess I did.

Saytan:  You cheated the Lord God, King of the Universe, who gave you life and happiness and the forgiveness of sin?

Good: Yes, I did.  I am sorry.

Saytan:   Your honor, the defendant has just confessed to the crime. She never tried to repay his debts, and cheated God.  She is guilty, guilty, guilty.

Judge:  (Strokes his beard)  In light of the evidence produced by the prosecution, and the confession of the defendant, I pronounce that you, Mrs. Good ,  are  (LOUDLY) GUILTY AS CHARGED.!!!!!!!!!

Satan:  (Evil laugh).  Oh boy, was that easy.  The dame  just hung herself with her own words. But I was able to squeeze it out of her.  Three cheers for me.  Let’s hear it for me.

Choir & People: (Booooooo)

Judge:  Mrs. Good,  you have been found guilty of the crime. Had you been more generous in your life, and …you would have had so many more blessings than you ever imagined possible.    However,  Justice demands that you now be known as a sinner. The normal punishment is death.

Saytan:  Yes, yes, yes, she’s mine, baby.  All mine.

Judge:  But, I choose to show mercy.  I died for your sins. So, I will put it to the jury.  To you, the people in our studio audience,   Mrs. Good confessed her sins.  Should she be forgiven and be set free?   All those in favor, please say “Aye?”

Choir & people: AYE.

Judge: The ayes have it. 

 Saytan: (Crying) No, no, no. I object, your honor.

Judge: Over ruled.  Case dismissed. (Judge hits gavel on altar  rail) As the Chief Justice of Heaven, I have ruled in favor of mercy.  There is power in my blood. My blood has set you free.

Mrs. Good:  Isn’t he fantastic?  He’s set me free?  Let’s all stand up and hear it for Jesus.

Choir& People:  YEA.  With applause.

[Characters come to the center stage , bow]

Narrator: Now, our skit has ended. Let us hear for all of our actors---

Choir & People: YEA.  With applause.

Narrator:  So friends, remember the Words of Jesus, who said, “Give and it will be given to you: extravagant gifts, over flowing, straight from the Hand  of God.”   This is His promise to us, the saints of God.    AMEN. AMEN.

ACTORS RETURN TO THEIR SEATS IN CONGREGATION.

No comments:

Post a Comment